Phuket Weather

After the rain comes sun. After the sun comes rain again

The last few days have been very changeable after a mostly dry July - we have had some rain now, and what rain! I am thankful that things were dry on Saturday (24th) for the Phuket Photo Walk, but Sunday was wet in the afternoon and our power went out in the dive shop for a couple of hours, and then Monday was rather nasty, lots of rain and strong winds, Tuesday not a huge amount better. It happens. And we do need rain. Don't like it? I hear the Atacama is a nice dry place.

"The voice of the rain" by Walt Whitman

And who art thou? said I to the soft-falling shower,
Which, strange to tell, gave me an answer, as here translated:
I am the Poem of Earth, said the voice of the rain,
Eternal I rise impalpable out of the land and the bottomless sea,
Upward to heaven, whence, vaguely form'd, altogether changed, and
yet the same,
I descend to lave the drouths, atomies, dust-layers of the globe,
And all that in them without me were seeds only, latent, unborn;
And forever, by day and night, I give back life to my own origin,
and make pure and beautify it;

Wednesday, after those 2 wet days, was perfect. Sunny, warm, sea calmes down. I took a late afternoon walk at Kata beach. Low season on the beaches. Not many people. Some folks enjoying the sun. Enjoying it doubly so having been denied it for a couple of days.

Kid on moped, Kata Beach, 28th July

Koh Pu island, just off Kata Beach

And then Thursday was pretty dark and wet too. I drove my daughter to school at about 7:30am. We missed the rain, but from our house we look west to the hills, and what I described to my daughter as a "black wall" was coming over the hills. Meanwhile, at about the same time, Alasdair was in Kamala - he later posted this photo on his blog:

Storm front approaching Kamala

Looks very dramatic, but didn't last that long! Today has been mostly grey and rainy too. Saturday tomorrow - a day off for me. I have a plan to go visit a remote fishing village in the mangroves of Phang Nga Bay, but think that can wait another week - our whole family seems very tired at the moment. Son was a bit ill for a few days last weekend, daughter has developed a cough, my dear wife slept late this morning, I dropped the kids at school. I think this week a lazy Saturday is called for. Check the ad below, the first one sums up my current Friday feeling:


After the rain comes sun. After the sun comes rain again  |  The Phuket Weather Blog

Please Buy Me a Coffee