Phuket Weather

Sunny April Please!

Ah, that's much better! Much more like it! What a freaky March! We were lucky here in Phuket really, I mean, sorry if your holiday was last week but Phuket had no flooding or damage. Other parts of South Thailand had things worse such as the hills in the east of Krabi province where quite a few people were killed in villages by flooding. The provinces on the east coast - Surat Thani and Nakhon Sri Thammarat had a lot of problems, and the islands of Koh Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Pha Ngan also had floods - you can read Camille's Samui Blog for more info on that area.

Anyway, as my last update on 30th March indicated, the heavy rains had stopped already. I only measured 14mm on the 30th and that was during the day, there was no evening rain. On the 31st my rain gauge recorded 2mm and it was almost sunny! I didn't take any photos for a few days, got sick on the 31st in the evening with a fever and bad headache and stayed home all day on the 1st (online though! had to do emails for work... and Twitter!) I have been Tweeting weather updates all the time, though I am happy to say that the last few days I have just been saying "Hot and Sunny". You can follow me on Twitter - https://twitter.com/jamiemonk for weather and Phuket news updates and random chatter.

What is the weather like in Phuket NOW?

The last 3 days have been hot and sunny, with blue skies (yes, some clouds too) and we're back to people saying "ooh! it's so hot today!". Hey, guess what? This is a tropical climate. It's basically either hot, wet or hot and wet. I hope that April will have a lot more of the hot.. The world climate does seem a bit screwy, so I'll place a bet on this being the driest April on record in Phuket, since we just had the wettest March! Total rain in March (according to my records): 439mm. So far in April : 0mm.

With the return of blue skies and the return of my health, I did something on Sunday that I had not done before... a walk down to the end of Phromthep Cape, the most southerly and south-westerly point in Phuket. Been there before of course, many times, it's a great place for a sunset and a view - see Sunset at Cape Phromthep.The path down from the main viewpoint and lighthouse is narrow, steep and a bit slippy in places, especially near the top, but flattens off lower down. A nice little walk, great views...

Phromthep Cape

Phromthep View

Viva el sol! See you in Phuket soon!


Sunny April Please!  |  The Phuket Weather Blog

Please Buy Me a Coffee